[DeTomaso] New Carb - Recommendations?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 19:33:30 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/3/08 11:41:11 AM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I'm interested to know ...
>
> - What carb are you currently running in your 351c?
> - What do you like / dislike about it?

I'm running a reworked Holley 700 double pumper as sold by PPC-Reno for
Panteras. What I like about the thing is, it looks like a std Holley and bolts on
with no tricks. It gave me 2 more miles per gallon than a 600 vac-secondary
Holley on a 1000-mile round trip from our home to Las Vegas- twice in two years.
The second year, the total miles included many laps around Spring Mountain
racetrack outside Las Vegas. Running an out-of-the-box double pumper on the
street is ordinarily a way to get around 9 miles per gallon; this carb gave us 20.
It also delivers a bit more power than the other carb- I now have to feather
the throttle during take-offs. And finally, due to the aluminum parts that
replace Holley's denser zinc castings, the assembly is almost 5 lbs lighter than a
std double-pumper.
What I dislike about the carb: it costs quite a bit for a street carburetor.
But will likely pay for itself in a few years of high gas prices. FWIW- J
DeRyke