[DeTomaso] New Carb - Recommendations?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 13:52:58 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/3/08 11 42 0, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> So, I'm interested to know ...
>
> - What carb are you currently running in your 351c?
> - What do you like / dislike about it?

I have one of Larry Stock's custom 700 Holley double-pumpers on my moderately
built 351C and I *love* it.   Comes with lots of features (electric choke,
braided fuel feed, all-metal construction), and was very close to perfectly
dialed-in right out of the box.   I had a tiny bit of lean surge at part-throttle
cruise, fixed by going up a couple of sizes on the main jet.

Now it's flawless, except that it's too rich on the idle circuit.   Easily
adjusted, when I take the time to do so.   Returns 17 mpg on the highway too..

FWIW, if you bought a standard 700 double-pumper, then bought all the extra
additional bits that Larry includes with his carburetor, it would be *much*
more expensive.

Larry has changed carburetor builders a couple of times since I bought mine
from him; originally Holley's custom shop was making the carbs for him, but
they issued an unannounced design change which totally dorked them up, and
resulted in a lot of unhappy customers.   Larry had to take numerous carbs back and
have them fixed.   He changed providers, and now has an outfit that I believe
is staffed by former (disgruntled) Holley employees.   No problems for the
past few years.

I think Jack DeRyke has the same carburetor on his Pantera and is similarly
happy?