[DeTomaso] POCA Board Election

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Nov 2 16:04:54 EST 2008

POCA Members;

I just got around to sending in my POCA Ballot this weekend and realize that I was probably not the last person to do so.  POCA member participation in the voting process has varied widely during my tenure on the Board.  For the candidates who volunteer their time and effort toward the betterment of the Club, high voter turnout is an affirmation that their contribution matters and that an accurate will of the membership was reflected.  We have had officer positions determined by a single vote!

Since the process requires so little effort on your behalf and means so much to the candidates who volunteer many hours to serve the membership, please take a moment to fill out your ballot and send it to Chuck Engles.

As I have had the good fortune to work with all the candidates in various capacities and appreciate the contribution each can make to the betterment of POCA, I would like to offer my encouragement for you to vote for the following candidates.

There are three non-contested positions, and I have been impressed with the contributions and insight offered by each of the aspirants. Bob Reid, Mike Drew and Lee Farrell have each worked diligently to enhance past practices, embraced new ideas and suggestions offered by others, treated peers and stakeholders with respect and dignity, and performed their roles with an organized approach that would facilitate the professional transition to a successor in the future.

For the contested position of VP, I would encourage you to vote for Mike Thomas, the current President of Pantera Northwest.  Mike has successfully led the drive to start a new POCA Chapter which was responsible for introducing many new members to POCA.  The ability to lead and grow the Club's membership is an important attribute for the position.  Mike has displayed the qualities POCA would seek in a future President.  While Mark McWhinney's efforts to date have been exemplary and we hope he will continue in the role as President for multiple terms, a successful organization needs to look forward and build a bench of talent representing individuals who can step into new roles and serve if necessary.   Mike is such a candidate.  Mike's organizational skills will also help us execute the Fun Rally and Raffle in a manner that better organizes and tracks vendor contributions and their contact preferences.

Presently, the Board has two positions filled by husband and wife which offers a single family two votes on Board centric POCA issues.  While, I have not seen this to be an issue to date, I think the membership is better served by officers with greater independence.

Mike has proven his ability to serve the membership while putting the best interests of others before those of his own.  Ideally, this is a quality that a POCA Board member demonstrates.  Please provide the membership of POCA the benefit of his expertise and character with your vote for him on the ballot.

Cordially

John Taphorn
Past President of POCA
Board Member