[DeTomaso] Fuel Gage Linearizer

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Sun Nov 2 10:48:34 EST 2008

If anyone is willing to make and distribute the correctors, I'd be
happy to donate the work I've put in to it.

I like to design stuff, but I get bored quickly ;-)

Thomas

2 nov 2008 kl. 06.21 skrev "Tomas Gunnarsson" <guson at home.se>:

> There's more info on Thomas' web site;
>
> http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/gauge-corrector/
>
> Tomas

>>> fuel
> [...]
>>> the fuel
>>> level with respect to the output of the potentiometer becomes a
>>> function
>>> of
>>> the length of the float arm and the sin of it's angle.  In other
>>> words the
>>> measurement, if uncorrected, is non-linear.  This is sometimes
>>> corrected
>>> for
>>> by manufacturing a non-linear pot that linearizes the sinusoidal
>>> output in
>>> the range of interest.  Remember, that is for fuel LEVEL.  When you
>>> translate level into quantity. The shape of the fuel tank becomes
>>> the next
>>> source of non-linearity.  Obviously if you had a cone shaped tank,
>>> one
>>> inch
>>> of fuel level near the top is a lot more than quantity 1 inch at the
>>> bottom.
>>> Depending on the irregularity of the cross-sectional area of the
>>> tank as
>>> the
>>> fuel level rises, the equation for quantity Vs. level can get quite
>>> complicated.  The simplest way to correct the situation and still be
>>> adaptable to different tank shapes and sizes is to use a micro-
>>> controller
>>> and a calibrated look up table to translate the level into actual
>>> quantity.
>>> The design I came up with for my car uses a PIC microcontroller
>>> that has
>>> on
>>> board an EEPROM to store the look-up table.  Operationally, the
>>> fuel level
>>> potentiometer is connected to my circuit which reads the
>>> resistance and
>>> "looks up" the correct corresponding fuel quantity. It then drives
>>> the
>>> gage
>>> with the correct voltage to indicate the actual quantity.  The setup
>>> requires calibrating the tank at 1 gallon intervals which means
>>> draining
>>> the
>>> tank and filling it one gallon at a time.  Since I was only
>>> building one
>>> of
>>> these circuits for myself, I did not write any code to have the
>>> micro
>>> perform the calibration automatically, meaning, that I recorded
>>> ADC output
>>> on my computer, generated the lookup table with Excel and manually
>>> entered
>>> the lookup table into the micro.  I did the same thing for the one
>>> I built
>>> for Chuck Buthala.  But that meant he had to perform the
>>> calibration,
>>> email
>>> me the data, and I programmed his look up table and sent the box
>>> to him.
>>>
>>>       If you guys are interested in something like this, I can do
>>> things.  I can put together a kit consisting of a PCB and a parts
>>> list