[DeTomaso] Orange KBL wire on Early 71 Turn Signal Flasher, turn indicator not working in tachometer

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 15:09:37 EDT 2008

Pertaining to a turn signal indicator not working on an early 71 car with the flasher labeled 31, 49, 49a and a KBL terminal which I have no clue what the KBL is for and it is not on my diagram.  It is the stock flasher per the Wilkinson site for cars pre #3442.

No one seems to have ever heard of the KBL and what it is for and the only thing on the web I can find is a question from 2003 by Jason Eaton about a short in KBL but I cant pull up the responses. Another site states they go to turn signal indicators on VW buses in 1968.

I have all my flashers working but I still can't get the turn indicator to work. I will not work if everything is stock now but last summer I recall it working.
I have decided to keep my old 4 prong flasher as it works the LEDS properly.

If you unplug KBL (orange wire) at the flasher the car wont turn over and gives a big clunk noise if you try to start it.
Also, if you plug the orange KBL into the new flasher without diodes it will make the flasher activate with that familiar noise at all times even with the turn signal off.
To further confuse the matter if I put everything the way the LED kit reads with ground at steering column, diode at the turn indicator light, and use the new flasher with both Orange KBL and pink/black on the same #49 flasher prong I get 3 noises from the flasher (An extra click in between the two normal clicks).  Also, with this the turn indicator bulb does not light up fully but a faint red glow comes from part of the bulb wire.

Any clue on how to fix it and what was that terrible noise if I try to start the car with orange KBL unplugged at the flasher?   I re-connected the orange wire at the flasher and the car starts fine.

I took out the diodes and put everything back stock wiring/flasher with the newLED bulbs. If I leave the diodes in the turn indicator remains on at all times irrespective of the turn signal being on or off.
Thus, I think KBL appears to be  a"hot" wire with the ignition in the on position and somehow relates to starting the car and the turn signal??????????.

Thanks in advance,
Clay