[DeTomaso] Unpainted Bodies

Dan Mixon tipo874 at comcast.net
Wed May 28 22:09:18 EDT 2008

In the book DeTomaso Pantera by Jan Norbye, there are some pictures of the
Vignale Turin assembly line on pages 61, 63 and 83. The bodies are painted.
A picture on page 63 shows them buffing the paint. The caption for the
picture on page 83 reads "Bodies were painted and dried at the Vignale
works, which had ample storage."

Brooklands Books - Pantera Gold Portfolio, which is a collection of Pantera
magazine articles, has pictures of Pantera construction in the Vignale
plant. It has pictures of "Wet sanding by hand before body receives final
coat of enamel" and "Paint spray booth - each Pantera receives 2 coats of
primer and 3 coats of acrylic enamel".

All these pictures are in black and white so you can't tell what color they
are but it does appear the cars are a similar shade.

I've seen the picture of the bodies sitting out in the weather in Modena but
if I recall correctly, they were post Ford era cars.

There are still impromptu worker strikes in Italy.