[DeTomaso] Paint Colors

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 28 18:37:04 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/28/08 11:37:41 AM, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> DeTomaso was never accused of using primer anywhere on the car! The welded,
> unpainted bodies were trucked 250 miles south from Vignale & stored outside
> in
> Modena, still unpainted, and many seem to have been painted in spite of
> being
> lightly rusted. This happened before any assembly, thus nearly the entire
> body- inside & out- was painted, or at least got color-overspray.

All body assembly and paintwork was done at Vignale.   An excellent primer
coat was applied before the equally excellent paint.   Anybody who has ever had
to strip a stock paint job to bare metal knows the extensive work required!
The painted bodies were then trucked to Modena for drivetrain installation and
final assembly.

It is true that for a period of time, unpainted bodies were allowed to sit
outside at Vignale; when my '72 was stripped, they found it had light surface
rust under the primer, on the lower rear valance.