[DeTomaso] Paint Colors

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 15:11:08 EDT 2008

All my experience has showed the very light grey primer under the color coat and I've seen photos of the workersdoing a quick wet sanding on the primer before color, but that doesn't mean they all got that treatment.  I've onlyseen one of the original paint color tags on the crossbar.  I thought the bodies were finish painted and at least
partially trimmed (window chrome etc) before they were sent to DeTomaso for drivetrain interior and other hardware.
I thought I've also seem painted Panteras alongside other makes like Maseratis on the Vignale line. ??
Michael      > DeTomaso was never accused of using primer anywhere on the car! The welded, > unpainted bodies were trucked 250 miles south from Vignale & stored outside in > Modena, still unpainted, and many seem to have been painted in spite of being > lightly rusted. This happened before any assembly, thus nearly the entire > body- inside & out- was painted, or at least got color-overspray. The traditional > way we determine what color the thing was originally (lacking a shipping bill > that spells this out) is to carefully check the cowl under the dash, under the > consoles or under the floor mats for OEM paint. The other way was by means of > a small fragile color-determining decal on the headlight raising bar or the > radiator tank, but in 28 years I've only seen one partial factory decal that > survived. Hall used to reproduce these little decals. FWIW- J Deryke