[DeTomaso] Paint Colors

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 28 14:36:30 EDT 2008

DeTomaso was never accused of using primer anywhere on the car! The welded,
unpainted bodies were trucked 250 miles south from Vignale & stored outside in
Modena, still unpainted, and many seem to have been painted in spite of being
lightly rusted. This happened before any assembly, thus nearly the entire
body- inside & out- was painted, or at least got color-overspray. The traditional
way we determine what color the thing was originally (lacking a shipping bill
that spells this out) is to carefully check the cowl under the dash, under the
consoles or under the floor mats for OEM paint. The other way was by means of
a small fragile color-determining decal on the headlight raising bar or the
radiator tank, but in 28 years I've only seen one partial factory decal that
survived. Hall used to reproduce these little decals. FWIW- J Deryke