[DeTomaso] Help please - Mounting the washer pump.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 28 10:52:39 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/27/08 22 25 34, davel at emspace.com writes:

> What is that box and what did it do?

That is the starter interlock override button.   On the later L-models, in
theory there was a starter interlock box mounted under the dash which received a
number of inputs from various places; logic conditions needed to be satisfied
before the ignition switch would engage the starter.   I believe this
included weight on the driver's seat, seat belt fastened, door closed, etc.   The
override button supposedly bypassed this logic once, allowing a person to depress
the button, then turn the key and start the car without the logic actually
being satisfied.

I have never actually seen a car that had this interlock functional.   I
don't know whether they have all failed, or were never implemented.   My car was
retrofitted with a '74 wiring harness, and the two wires for the interlock
bypass are dangling useless in the front trunk.   I can reach in the window and
turn the key and start the car all day long.

(Well, not right now--my solonoid is still broken, but you know what I mean!)

The washer bottle was mounted to a bracket which was screwed to the inside of
the front trunk compartment; a leather strap wrapped around the bottle to
keep it secure.   This bracket/bottle was a Lucas assembly, used on every British
car in the world.   Complete replacement assemblies are available new; I
don't know if you can *only* get the bracket though.