[DeTomaso] Gas tank gasket

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 27 04:32:45 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/26/08 21 00 47, coxmichaelt at gmail.com writes:

> I need to replace the gasket between the filler neck and the top of the
> gas tank. I was going to make a new one out of some 1/8th inch rubber
> sheet that I have but was wondering if it will stand up to gas. Is there
> a specific type of rubber to use, or a better choice? Should I also use
> some sort of sealer in a tube as well?

Factory gaskets, which fit perfectly and have the holes in the right place,
are available from the vendors and they're laughably cheap.   Might as well
just buy one of those.   I think it's a somewhat standard size, hence the low
price.

If you want to seal it, RTV will NOT work; in fact it will just fall apart
and clog up your fuel filter (don't ask me how I know!).   Hylomar is the
gasket-maker of choice for that application.

But you should be fine with simply using a new factory gasket.