[DeTomaso] leaking mystery

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Mon May 26 17:36:57 EDT 2008

Chris,

I advice against driving the car further. I had an alarmingly rising oil consumption last year and set out to change the valve stem seals (with the heads on the engine). I found the exhaust valves to be very loose in the guides so I decided to pull the heads. What I found was that the intake seals had shifted around and created massive vacuum leaks from the lifter gallery. The result was oil buildup on both intake and exhaust valves, on the exhaust valve stems to the point where the guide inserts had been worn away to zero thickness. When I tried to put an old valve in a fresh guide the valve stopped about half an inch from the valve seat.

Tomas