[DeTomaso] Pantera Width vs GT4 GT5

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon May 26 03:01:26 EDT 2008

Lets see if I can come up with an explanation that makes a picture
of how it works.
If we putt all driversfeeling of carbehaviour aside and only look at
the car:s cornering power. I can say that A-arms and geometry has
nothing to do with it. To explain what I mean with such statement
lets assume that we have a very simple car, a square cube with a
wheel hold by a single bolt each corner, sort of a Flintstone car.
Attach a wire on the middle side of the body at CGH at pull it
sideways. Lest assume it takes 1G compared to its weight. To get
better numbers we will need a rubber that gives a higher number of
friction.

A higher number of friction could be had in many ways,
temperature, another rubber, another weight to rubber contact
area to to load relationship, etc.

If we keep the 1g rubber an put an advanced suspension system on
the car, instead of the Flintstone bolt stuff, the suspension will make
the chassis to create a roll motion, and the tires to describe a camber
pattern that together makes the tires no longer to stay vertical thereby
loosing grip. We will see a 0,98g number then.

So, whats the trick having a suspension system on the car then if it makes
things worse? The "Zerocar" will only be fast if the track is 100% flat and
the turning radious is keept 100% steady state. A condition that hardley
exist.

What a good suspension do is to transform a dynmic situation, that is
loaded situation. Trying to make the tires to experience a 100% flat and
100% steady state situation (althrought it is not) as much as possible.

A passenger car is built to meet a number of weather and road conditions.
What makes a racecar faster is that it can be built to handle one single
codition much better. On the other hand it might be terrible in snow, if not
built for snow.

Goran