[DeTomaso] Degree'n the Cam(s)- Or, Has Anyone Used the Cloyes Hex-A-Just System?

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Sun May 25 03:17:18 EDT 2008

Fellow Engine Builders:

As I finally get ready to install my tweaked engine into my '73L, I'm struck by all those thoughts of "should I?", and "did I?". I've also been struck by the new parts that have appeared over the past 2 years... Since I buttoned up the windage tray, and oil pan (okay, so I'm a slow mechanic....).

One of those changes that has recently appeared are adjustable camshaft sprockets for my engine. When I originally installed my new Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE270AH camshafts (and new "beehive" valve springs), there wasn't any reasonable way to adjust the camshaft timing (...that wasn't prohibitively expensive), so I made sure that everything was at factory specification, and buttoned things up.

Now, as I'm getting ready to finally shoehorn this engine in, Cloyes has released their "Cloyes Hex-A-Just" Timing Chain system for my 5.4L SVT engine.

My question is two fold. First of all, how important is it to degree the camshafts? And secondly, has anyone had any experience with the Cloyes "Hex-A-Just" products? This will go onto my 2002 Ford SVT 5.4L SOHC supercharged EFI engine.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"