[DeTomaso] To thermostat or not to thermostat

Don Thomas dtpantera at gmail.com
Wed May 21 01:00:08 EDT 2008

Here is the engineering explanation that I got from my friend (the
engineer's engineer and rocket scientist) at Boeing who deals with
thermodynamics everyday.

"Turbulent heat transfer (flux) coefficient (Nusselt number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusselt_number ) is linearly proportional to
the Reynolds number.  The Reynolds number itself is linearly proportional to
velocity.  Don't feel bad - this wasn't covered in your basic engineering
thermo class.  It's in the realm of convective heat transfer. "

Which what he is basically saying... you want high rate of flow in order to
induce turbulence to transfer heat more efficiently.

This is also mentioned on the Stewart components website at the bottom of
one of their tech tips page. i.e.:

"Metal temperatures always increase when you slow the water pump down."

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips/Tech_Tips_6.htm

So if someone tells you slower is better... that isn't true for cooling.

I hope that helps.

-dt