[DeTomaso] To thermostat or not to thermostat

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue May 20 22:57:15 EDT 2008

I agree with Mikey about running the Robert Shaw 333-180 thermostat.  There
aren't any downsides to running a thermostat - unless you get a cheapo
thermostat - which the Robert Shaw is not.

I don't buy the idea that you have to slow down the water or it won't cool
enough.  It makes more sense to me that if you don't restrict the water,
it'll cool too much.  So, in other words, if you're not running a
thermostat, and the engine is running too cool, put a smaller restrictor in
place.  This only makes sense in a controlled environment - like dirt track
racing.

This is one of those topics that, in my opinion, we over analyze.  Use a
proper thermostat so it'll stay hot enough.  Get rid of the air in the
system.  Make sure the fans are working properly.  That's all it takes.  Oh
yeah, stainless pipes/tanks and green stripe hoses, but that's more for
corrosion/leak protection - not cooling.

By the way, I haven't had a high pressure/swirl tank in over 4 years.  I
haven't put many miles on my car the last year (mostly due to traveling for
work), but before that I drove it 1,000 miles a month.  The only time it
overheated was when the fans stopped working - and that was in 100+ degree
weather in stop/go traffic, up hill, with no shoes on.

Will.