[DeTomaso] To thermostat or not to thermostat

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 20 22:21:51 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/20/08 18 45 54, jimgray at cableone.net writes:

> My question is, since we always make a big deal about using the correct
> Cleveland style thermostat, what happens when there is no "hat" on a
> thermostat to close off the warm-up passages?  Does the water just go around
> and around in the engine?

Yes, unless it is blocked off.   Some aftermarket pumps block off that
passage.   Some engine builders will hammer a plug into the orifice normally blocked
by the 'hat'.   In both cases, that then allows you to run a Windsor
thermostat.

Although thermostats are a possible failure point, a good quality thermostat
rarely fails, and their benefits far outweigh their liabilities IMHO.   As
your engine builder pointed out, you can't run NOTHING there; a restrictor of
some sort is needed to maintain appropriate pressure/volume.

I would suggest running a top-quality RobertShaw 351C thermostat (part number
333-180 for a 180-degree unit), available from Summit and others.