[DeTomaso] To thermostat or not to thermostat

Jim Gray jimgray at cableone.net
Tue May 20 21:45:17 EDT 2008

A question for all the engine gurus:

My engine builder recommends not running a thermostat but instead just
knocking out the center section so as to leave a 25 cent size hole to slow
down the water flow.

My question is, since we always make a big deal about using the correct
Cleveland style thermostat, what happens when there is no "hat" on a
thermostat to close off the warm-up passages?  Does the water just go around
and around in the engine?

I've run my engine with and without a working thermostat and don't see much
difference in the operating temperature, only in the time it takes to warm
up.

Opinions needed.

Jim Gray