[DeTomaso] Autopsy

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 19 02:28:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/18/08 7:12:12 PM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> These are the stock cast pistons.

Cast pistons seem to only be able to take high rpms for a while, then they
break, usually thru the oil ring drainback areas. In cast pistons, these are
often sawcut slots while in forged pistons, they are drilled holes. I suspect the
slots are too large and further weaken an already marginal piston. I've seen
such pistons crack apart such that the whole crown continues to slide up &
down as the cylinder fires while the rod is attached to only the skirts. The
knocking is incredible as the loose crown smacks the head, then is driven down
against the skirt by the explosion.
Second possibility is if you used stock valves. Both intake and exhaust
valves are two piece, made of a separate head and a stem of a different kind of
steel, friction-welded together. I've seen such valves in which the stem was
non-magnetic while the head was magnetic. Under stress of higher rpms or heat- or
both, these kind of valves break at the original welds, destroying the engine.
Finally, stock valves use multi-groove split-keepers. These do not grip the
stem tightly. Instead they hold the stem loosly, allowing the valve to move
slightly during each cycle. This prolongs a valve job in a domestic engine, but
again, at high rpms, the split keepers tend to pop out, releasing the stem and
again, fragging the whole engine.

In your rebuild, I suggest using ONLY forged pistons and one-piece stainless
steel valves with single-groove split-keepers, or always keep the revs down
around 5000 maximum. This will give you a much more durable engine with spirited
performance without breaking the bank.... or the block next year! And don't
forget to save EVERYTHJING that unbolts from the blown block. There's about $1K
of 'accessories' removeable from a trashed 351C, which you will need
sometime. Sorry about the damage; better luck with the next assembly- J Deryke