[DeTomaso] Fw: More Problems....

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Fri May 16 01:45:45 EDT 2008

Will,

You can verify that the 8920 (if that is what you use) is  working in the car
using a multimeter.
With the engine running the White wire between the 6AL and the 8920  should
read around +2.8 V DC. This indicates that the 6AL is providing a 20%  duty
cycle +12 volt square wave to the 8920. This voltage will not change  with the
speed of the engine because the signal duty cycle % does not change. If  the
White wire reads 0 V DC, you may have a bad connection. If The White wire  reads
+12V DC, the 6AL tach output signal is bad. If the White wire  different than
+2.8 V DC, something is wrong with the 6AL.

With the engine running, the Violet wire tach signal out of the  8920 should
read as follow:

1,000 RPM = 1.27 VAC, 2,000 RPM = 2.62 VAC, 4,000 RPM = 4.75  VAC

This indicates that the 8920 is putting out the normal point/coil  type
signal to trigger the Pantera Tach. Note that we are reading AC voltage  here
because we want to see the inductive ringing signal which occurs with each  spark
occurrence. The AC voltage on the Violet wire increases with engine  speed.

The 8920 tach adapters are a potted assembly and cannot be  repaired

I have an MSD 8920 tach adapter I use for testing tachs when I  repair them.
I would be glad to loan it to you.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor

SOBill  Taylor