[DeTomaso] Cobra / Shelby Club Race at Willow Springs /RearDeckLid Needed

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu May 15 20:58:46 EDT 2008

>I thought that the major source of air for the carbs came up from under the
> car.
>
> Jeff
> 6559

/listinfo/detomaso

Yeah, I believe you are correct.  And of course it is heated as it passes by
the headers.  The concommitant question is what is the fresh air source when
the previous one is closed.  Designers believed the Ferrari 512bb's carbs
(decklid has similar sugar scoop design) were not getting adequate air at
speed and implemented the spoiler at the top of the rear deck lid (that is
seen on many Panteras) to create turbulence and get more air to the carbs.
My choice would be to feed it in though the side windows.  Boundary layer or
not, I believe the carb would get all it needed if it was plumbed to those
side apetures.

Testing would reveal

JT