[DeTomaso] Cobra / Shelby Club Race at Willow Springs / Rear DeckLid Needed

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu May 15 20:14:44 EDT 2008

  Would love to see the research by Dr. Wortmen.  Is it published anywhere?

  Yes it is.  Dr Wortman provided me copies of his work titled "Full-Scale Aerodynamic Testing of Automobiles" about one year ago.  This study was done in 2003 when he was Technical Director with ISTAR Inc.

  It has been my intention to pass along a copy to Jack for publishing in the POCA Newsletter.  Andrew gave me permission.  I am guilty of not having read it yet as it is a 40+ page document.  However, it does use a Pantera as one of its test vehicles.

  My remarks regarding the rear decklid was based on a very thoughough conversation with him at last year's Fun Rally.  The conversation was such that he felt compelled to send me a copy of his research.

  I'll forward it to Jack and see if he can extract content for the Newsletter.
  JT

  John Taphorn <jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com> wrote:
    Aerodynamic research by Dr. Andrew Wortmen has evidenced poor aerodynamic performance around the rear decklid exacerbated by the sugar scoop design.  He champions that a tremendous improvement in Aero could be gained by a cover that encloses it.  He also supports the idea of a belly pan.

    We are all experiencing this problem and it affects us with greater drag, lower top speeds and poorer feul economy to name a few.  Your car has simlpy had adequate tie downs that has kept you oblivious to the problem.  Which makes my point.

    JT