[DeTomaso] Other Aero Issues

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 12:56:12 EDT 2008

Based on the description of golf ball dimples, the purpose is to delay separation of the flow over the body when the rear of the body decreases rapidly, like a sphere.  If that is not an issue on a stream lined body, then maybe there isn't a reason for dimples or similar surface on most LSR cars?

  But it sounds like there is a separation issue with a Pantera so a rough surface of the right roughness in the right place might help.  But we don't have a simple sphere and I guess we have a substantial boundary layer over most the body, so it may be hard to obtain a benefit?  I guess you could spray a couple wide racing stripes from the nose to the tail using some kind of texture paint?  Stealth dimples, LOL  Maybe those little louvers on the tops of fenders on some Chaparrals did the same thing?  Helped the air flow follow the body?

  Based on Dan's input, it still seems like a major winner to vent all the radiator air through the hood to a low pressure area above the hood.  I think those who have done this have had excellent results.

  Ken

"michael at michaelshortt.com" <michael at michaelshortt.com> wrote:
  No I haven't, but I do keep up.

Spirit of America - Shiny
Bluebird - Shiny
Wingfoot Express - Shiny
The Green Monster - Shiny
Goldenrod - Shiny
Blue Flame - Shiny
Thrust - Shiny
Thrust SSC - Shiny

SST/ Concorde - Shiny

Atlas V - Shiny

Shuttle- not so shiny and not as fast

I'm sure that there are examples of lower classes that swear by primer,
I just don't see any flat sheened F1 Cars, IMSA, FIA, NASCAR ( except on pre
season test days when logos are not allowed ) Top Fuel, Funny Cars, IRL,
CART or any other sanctioned race cars that all have way more resources to
study the negligible effects of paint on overall top speed.

My deck lid latch broke last fall and at 80-100 mph on the way home, it
found itself about 2 inches raised and stayed there as long as the speed was
there then settled down when I slowed down ( after I removed the deck lid
shocks ), Sorry I didn't try going backwards.

The idea of a bellypan to smooth out the engine area is just not very well
thought out unless you plan on enclosing everything fore of the engine as
well, the turbulence under there would negate any advantages. Old GTP Cars
had full ground effects from nose to tail and tunnels built around the half
shafts, etc to facilitate air travel, anything less is a waste of time.

the best solution if you really want to try something is an air dam and side
skirts made of rubber and it's uglier than Hillary's chances at victory in
November.

Good Grief, these are amazing beautiful 35 year old cars, appreciate them
for what they are, if you want a Veyron or something, get one of those or
something more modern like a Ford GT, a great car with new technology.

It just seems to me like some people out there wanna keep doing plastic
surgery on Raquel Welch instead of dating Jessica Alba. and gentlemen,
Jessica Alba will NEVER be equal to Raquel Welch....no matter what you do to
her!

Michael in Savannah

--
Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it. Thank you