[DeTomaso] Oil Cooler

Roland Jaeckel detomaso at gmx.com
Tue May 13 16:10:05 EDT 2008

I used to have the oil cooler also in front of the right rear wheel.
I had a fan on and a scoop to the side grill of my GT5-S fender.
It worked fine for years. Last year i owned the car,
i tried the Laminova water to oil cooler. It did not better than the former design.
On high revs, the oil was way hotter than it was before.
I wouldn't use the Laminova again.
My new car, a Group 3 will get the cooler again in front of the right wheel
with an electric fan and a scoop to suck the air from under the car.
I can't tell now, how it will work, the car won't be ready before 2009.
My ACcondensor will be mounted in front of the water cooler.
I did that on all of my former cars since 1991.
Roland Jaeckel
DeTomaso Parts Center Europe
www.detomaso.de

In a message dated 5/13/08 9:41:13 AM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> I recall that a couple years ago the guys at PIM told me that they were
> mounting secondary
>  AC condensors in the engine compartment in that space in front of the
> passenger rear tire,
>  because there was significant airflow there. How about mounting the oil
> cooler there? ....

That was Hall Pantera's choice for position of an air-to-oil cooler several
decades ago, using a louvered splash shield between the cooler & tire on the
right. Seems the rotating tire/wheel causes some extra airflow at that point and
if the cooler is mounted tight against the splash shield, no ducting is
necessary. Exactly how much cooling you might get, no one's ever published figures.

As for positioning a cooler next to the right header with an underbody
airscoop to direct air flow, the two guys I know that tried it got no measurable oil
temp drop on long runs. I tried a similar underbody scoop on another car in
the last century and also got no measurable oil temp drop. So this mod may not
be worth the weight of carrying it around. FWIW- J DeRyke