[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 46, Issue 11

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 12 17:08:10 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/12/08 9:41:37 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I guess I always assumed the oil to water heat exchangers were in series in
> the flow from the radiator to the engine?  Since the net heat created by the
> engine is unchanged, I figured cooling the oil first wound not change the
> overall engine cooling.

Remember, our radiators are some 20% smaller than front-engine cars like
'Vettes, with restricted air out of the front end into the wheel wells and higher
pumping losses due to the 12 ft of water lines front to back. The impact of a
properly plumbed water-to-oil cooler such as Bob's Fluidyne into a
stock-sized, thicker water radiator seems to be that water temps go up by about 10
degrees F, if oil temps are held around 280 max. The total heat-capacity of both
systems depends on a perfect water cooling system, a larger more efficient
radiator and possibly ducting the rad-air out the front hood with a so-called
'Gurney duct'. Guys, please don't chop up any more valuable steel hoods (or decks)
now that PPC-Reno has cheap fiberglas units available!
FWIW, the surface area of a typical Pantera water radiator is roughly 26"x
13" =338 square inches while those cute little factory hibachi hood vents are
8"x 4" (x2)= 64 square inches, so don't expect to exhaust more than a max of
mayb 20% of your hot radiator air out of such. My 12" x 1" slots from a Long &
Newman hood are even less useful. FWIW- J DeRyke