[DeTomaso] Seat of the pants dyno at BBORR

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 15:55:45 EDT 2008

M.F.'r,

  Far as your 150 HP number is concerned I'll just submit what Will said earlier which was 'Bullsheeeit'!
  But I know thats your story and at least its consistant! ;-]>

  I'm not surprised you pushed out some "NASCAR Mist", as you called it running a sustained 120 average with some bursts to 140...Remember you have been running along at baby cruise speeds (100-125) at the BBORR in the past so all that means is your engine is breathing.

  Far as the 'too rich' thing is concerned all I can say is how can you be TOO RICH? Lets see if you can finish more then 2 ORR's this year!  ;-]>

  Dawg

michael frazier <red3644 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Many people helped me get the car ready for this years Big Bend event. I was having alot of trouble with the injection
timing (Thanks Kirby!) as well as some electrical gremlins. They all helped mask one another. I went to Big Bend just
hoping to cross the finish line with most of the parts I started with. I had very little time in the car before we pulled to
the starting line. Honestly, less than 10 miles. I knew it was running rich but that's better than lean for what we were
about to do. I was in the 120mph average class with an 140mph tech limit. I like to run as close to the average as I can
for the whole route so I ran up to 140mph right away in order the reach a 120 average as soon as possible. Everything felt
and sounded good and I was really paying close attention to that. We crossed the southern finish line right on time with
cool water temps and good oil pressure. The return run was pretty much the same. Here's the seat of the pants dyno part.
The start of the second leg is in the mountainous part of the course so it takes longer to get you average speed up. I
was running about 130 when we passed a checkpoint behind time. The next short straight came up and I rolled into the throttle
pretty deep. I looked down at the guages then back up and we were pulling hard through 150mph. I jumped out of it
before one of the radar traps could DQ us for breaking our tech speed. I tried it again on the next section I was sure
there were no radar guns. It seemed to pull from 130 to 160 as hard as it did from the lower ranges. We crossed the finish
line .006 mph off our ideal time. That took 1st place in the class. The car had a very light oil film on the rear panel.
(NASCAR mist?). I knew the engine is built "loose". The tail pipes were sooty black at the edge of the tips and a light tan
in the center further down. Those are the details. I sticking with my 150hp estimate, up the from previous 118hp. I haven't
seen in innards of the engine so I'm thinking of pulling it just to see what's in there and freshen it up a bit if needed.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hope to see more of you there next year.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa Y'all
http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008