[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 46, Issue 11

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Mon May 12 13:30:02 EDT 2008

Ken Green skrev:
> Bob,
>
>       Do you mean that you had an oil to water heat exchanger connected to the hot water coming from the engine, not the cooler water from the radiator?

I think this is the proper way to connect it.

The oil should preferably be warmer than 100°C (212F) to boil of any water.

You also want to feed the heat from the oil to the radiator to be
cooled, not heat up the cool water entering the engine.

Having it plumbed into the line to the radiator also helps warming up
the oil from a cold start.

I had my Laminova heat exchanger plumbed like this and it kept the oil
solidly at 20°C above the water temp.

>       I guess I always assumed the oil to water heat exchangers were in series in the flow from the radiator to the engine?  Since the net heat created by the engine is unchanged, I figured cooling the oil first wound not change the overall engine cooling.

This way you risk cooling the oil too much, unless you have a thermostat
in the oil cooler circuit, which is unnecessary  if you plumb it into
the line to the radiator.

>   Ken

Thomas