[DeTomaso] 485.8 RWHP & TRIPLE DISC CLUTCH????

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 11 16:42:11 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/11/08 9:22:11 AM, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> The GT40s.com forum has discussed this issue ad nauseam and the camps are
> split. Guys that run the ZF with no problems and the others who believe
> it's inevitable they will fail.   I beat the crap out of my Pantera over the years,
> both on the trackand as a daily driver, and the only thing I ever did to the
> ZF was ruin the 2nd gear synchro frompower shifting to 2nd too many times.

KIrby's right. When the Pantera was first introduced, Ford ordered one spare
ZF for every 5 cars sold, and most of those spares were never used right up to
today. Remember, if the GT-40s in question were running stock dash-zero or
dash-1 ZFs, those cases are Mangusta-style, are much lighter built than the
later dash-2s; some had aluminum side covers that allow the diff case to spread
under high torque, failing the diff bearings, and other significant differences.
The dash-2   ZF is up to 20 lbs heavier and more robust- used in virtually
all mid-engined factory sports cars ever built without significant problems,
including the rare Swiss-built Montiverdi Hai with big-block Hemi power. FWIW- J
DeRyke