[DeTomaso] 485.8 RWHP & TRIPLE DISC CLUTCH????

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 11 16:19:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/11/08 7:55:40 AM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> Ok, so at what point does the ZF fail to handle MDs pretend 485.8 RWHP
> @6,000R's and 459.3 RWTQ @5,500 R's.and explode in a hundred expensive pieces?
> Didn't the GT-40 program suffer a lot a transaxle failures with the big block
> power and torque?

Jr Wilson is our benchmark with his 900-bhp, 574 cube Boss 429; it failed two
clutch input shafts when he got big air over high spped bumps during SS
events. The shock-load coming down at 5500 rpms & 220 mph snapped them like
spaghetti, but no other known failures for Jr. Next is Greg Esakov aka the Mad
Ukraininan who failed several tranny gears with an estimated 750 bhp on gumball
tires & brutal slam-shifting. IMHO, Mad Dog will be OK for a while. FWIW- J DeRyke