[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 46, Issue 9- Oil Cooler

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 11 16:02:39 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/10/08 4:04:08 PM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:
snip....
> I was going to use it (air-to-oil oil cooler) on my new 393C stroker motor,
> which was built to spin out to 7,850 rpm. I had toyed with the idea of
> locating it somewhere it was easy to duct some additional air over it, from this
> it sounds like I definitely need to consider carefully. I just don't like the
> idea/risk of all that extra hosing up to the front of the car to carry oil,

Biggest problem is the necessity of cutting the front bodywork for an
air-to-oil cooler, since the radiator opening is barely big enough for the water rad
and adding yet another heat-producer up there (rad + AC condenser) may cause
more heat-related problems than it solves. Your stock GT-5 oil cooler is
essentially useless- unducted, too small & postioned behind the water rad in a
hot-air stream, which is why it was removed. Good luck- J DeRyke