[DeTomaso] vacuum advance on Duraspark II systems

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 10 15:59:04 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/9/08 11:31:54 AM, lee_farrell at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I just found out the vacuum advance on my D II ignition is unconnected.
> (benefit of replacing the water pump???)   I have the stock blue strain relief,
> standard cap size system.   I found a web site which says this is preferred,
> but that doesn't seem right to me.   There is also an unconnected fitting at
> the top of my "basic 600 Holley carb".

Since my Duraspark ll has been on the car (3 yrs), its vac advance has also
unconnected. Its certainly easy to hook up to that topside vacuum spigot and
see if it does anything good. Personally, I get more power with 2 mpg better
mileage on long 'Vegas runs since discarding my 1970-era 600 vac-sec Holley and
dual-points dizzy for the Duraspark & a PPC-calibrated   Holley 700 double
pumper, so I'm not too motivated to experiment right now; other areas are first.
The double pumpers don't have a venturi-vac spigot as-stock but it would be
semi-easy enough to drill a 4" deep hole sideways in the casting to make one. Try
yours and see- J Deryke