[DeTomaso] Modena from the air

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 10 01:12:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/9/08 15 10 51, msm at portata.com writes:

> On a lark, I typed in the address for De Tomaso into Google maps and was
> surprised to find good maps and aerial pictures of the factory, the town of
> Modena and nearby Campogalliano, and the many storied towns throughout Italy.
>
> Check it out.  Go to
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
>
> Enter this address and switch to Satellite view.
> Viale Virgilio 9, Modena, Italy

Very interesting!

I've been there many times, and remember the place well.   The complex
consists of three buildings.   The L-shaped building with the white roof consists of
the museum (in the larger portion towards the north) and a series of offices
on the long arm of the "L".   You can see the large De Tomaso logo sign
mounted on the roof.

The building immediately to the west has an angled roof, with vertical
skylights on each of the roof sections.   This is where most of the Pantera parts
were stored, and it was also the service area, and the assembly area for the
post-Ford cars, i.e. GT5/GT5-S/Pantera Si/Guara.

The building to the north is the 'secret' building, which has piles and piles
and piles of miscellaneous parts, bits of old cars, leftover '60s Mangusta
chassis, and who knows what else.   In fact, nobody at De Tomaso really has a
clue what is in there anymore, as all the original employees simply kept track
of the inventory in their heads and they are all long gone.   It's like an
Aladdin's cave in there.

Just to the east of that is a very regimented grove of trees, and a tiny
stables where Isabelle De Tomaso keeps her miniature horses.

I haven't the slightest idea where the original De Tomaso factory was, in
relation to these buildings.   There was a formal assembly line where the
drivetrains etc. were installed in the Panteras after they were trucked down from
Modena, but I don't think this took place in any of these buildings?

I hope we can visit again when we go to Modena for the International Meeting
in 2009....:>)