[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 46, Issue 9- Oil Cooler pump

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Fri May 9 16:41:08 EDT 2008

RCBSONS1 at aol.com skrev:
> After my recent run at the Vegas Track event
> I have decided that the only way I can cool my
> oil down below 300 running at 6800 on most of
> the corners is to put a air to oil cooler up front
> as Charlie Puckett told me to do several years ago
> He and I have tried other locations, oil to water, fans
> etc... I give up so up front we go or I am going to
> eventually roast my motor.
>
> I think 5/8 hard lines under the car but as most
> have told me I will need to pump that far... I will
> leave the stat in the filter adapter and the only
> time I really need to use the cooler is when we
> track the car... put ithe pump on a switch would be best
> (electric).... now who... what size.... pressure???
> any thoughts????   maybe off the new vette, ford gt???
>
> Bob Benson

Tomas Gunnarsson had what I think is a great idea.

Instead of running the oil at full pressure to the front and back,
install a separate low pressure oil pump and just circulate the oil from
the oilpan to the cooler and back into the pan.

You could drive the oilpump from one of the driveshaft flanges. I guess
a single stage drysump pump and a gilmer belt drive would work.

Thomas