[DeTomaso] Rear Suspension

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 7 22:33:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/6/08 10:28:26 AM, trevor at fougere.com writes:

> 1 - Aside from checking all the other parts for unusual wear, is it normal
> to just replace the two bushings?

Its only normal to replace the bushings if unusual wear is noted, as you
have. Bill Santos once chased a thunking noise around in his rear suspension,
which others has diagnosed as bad rear wheel bearings, worn axles etc. It turned
out to be worn bushings in one carrier which let the rear upright move under
acceleration & braking.

> 2 - What is the procedure for getting the old ones out?

Messy. Splitting the old bushings by hand with a cape chisel & hammer is the
surest way since using a jab-saw can scar up the cast iron bores, and hand
drilling is chancy too. A patent bushing puller normally won't work because
there's not enough ledge inside to catch. And once they're out & you tap in the new
ones, you might find the separator which actually runs in the bushings,
doesn't fit any more. Its easier to lathe-cut the separator than bore both
installed bushings parallel, but the separator is hardened steel so a carbide lathe
tool is needed, or a tool-post grinder. FWIW, all this happens due to inadequate
lubrication; hand packing with grease is the factory method while adding zerk
fittings is the modern solution.

> 3 - Is it normal to do both sides (no detectable movement on the left side)
> to ensure comparable "wear" to the bushings on both sides?

I'd at least disassemble & check the other side, since there's no reason to
expect any better conditions there. But you might be surprised and at least
you'll know. Good luck- J Deryke