[DeTomaso] Alignment help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 7 22:14:17 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/5/08 8:30:31 PM, seanmundy at hotmail.com writes:

> I lowered my front end a bit and the steering pull to the left got worse.

Raking the car will reduce caster, and maxed-out caster on a Pantera is only
about 2-1/2 degrees anyway; a Corvette might run 6 degrees (with power
steeering, of course). Low caster makes any car twitchy with unexplained 'pulls'.
Second, some otherwise undamaged Panteras were apparently factory- built (or
altered by Father Time) with asymmetric suspension mounts on the subframes. This
means that caster, camber & toe may finally be slightly different on the two
front tires, once the car is adjusted to drive normally. Many wil max out caster
with different values left & right. I've also seen several Panteras that, if
they maxed out the wheel rim size right to the edge of the left front fender
and used this as a guide, the same wheel/tire combo on the right side would
stick out from the fender edge as much as 1/2"- only on the front. All this is
just part of their charm.... Good luck, Sean- J Deryke