[DeTomaso] Demon Carb Feedback Wanted

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:11:40 EDT 2008

Which CFM and booster style did they recommend?  There are 4 basic booster
designs used in Holley carbs:

  straight leg
  down leg
  truck
  annular

The straight leg booster is used on many of Holleys cheaper carbs and has
the weakest gain.  A 3310 Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb has straight leg
boosters on both the primary and secondary sides.  The down leg booster
drops the discharge ring lower in the venturi where it operates in higher
velocity air, increasing its gain.  The 750 DP has down leg boosters.
The Ford truck boosters have an even higher gain is and are used in the 735
CFM Holley used on 428CJ applications.  The annular boosters (also developed
by Ford for their 4100 Autolite carbs) have the highest gain and are used
on many performance carbs.  They were also used on the short lived 4010 and
4011 Holley carbs, as well as the emissions compliant Holley 4180 used by
Ford on the 1983 to 1985 Mustang 5.0L V8's.  Given your unheated single plane
intake and Yates heads, I'd guess annular boosters would be best but I've
been told getting the rest of the calibration right is trickier with annular
boosters.

Dan Jones