[DeTomaso] Scary sound from the 351...

Henrik Svensson Henrik.Svensson at gda.se
Sat May 3 10:44:02 EDT 2008

Hi guys

My Pantera was finally ready for the inspection yesterday. When I ran the engine for about 10 minutes to see if that the cooling was working fine the engine started to make a mechanical sound when I got over 2000rpm. It sounds like there is something moving around inside the engine. I changed the oil and filter and tried again. When I started the engine with new oil the sound was very distinct a couple of seconds before the oil reached the whole engine. After that the sound was a bit less then before the oil change but still there.

It sounds like a "hard" sound, not like a lifter. Could it be a busted piston? Main bearings?

Any ideas where to start looking? Are there any common problems that can show these symptoms?

Thanks!

Henrik