[DeTomaso] Rear Axle Bearings

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 14:48:19 EDT 2008

The guys making the hub-bearing assembly/billet carrier/CV half shaft/brake upgrade are trying to finish the CNC code for the billet carrier and have a complete prototype done in a month.  They make stuff like this for offroad racers and do have experience with suspension parts, so I trust them on safety issues a lot more then I'd trust myself to design a carrier.

  I asked them about taper bearing conversions and they said the hub-brearing assemblies are just about universally used now because they are simple bolt together, and a taper bearing assembly requires a proper set-up to work properly.

  This has taken a lot longer than I ever expected, but I think it will be a decent upgrade with a lot of bang for the buck.  I'll get pictures as soon as I can, hopefully in the next 4 or 5  weeks.

  Ken

michael frazier <red3644 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone come up with a new or better tappered roller bearing conversion yet? I'm not convinced it's even necessary if
your original items fit right...usually meaning the axle has been resized. I have my uprights apart now and was just thinking about it.
I asked Dick Koch about his mod but never heard anything back. The photos of this mod are shown on the Pantera Place site
but the view of the insert has been doctored to hide the details. It's obvious how this set-up works but I thought there might be some
dimensions or suggestions. There was also talk at one time about another refit using bearings from a Volvo or Subaru. Maybe it was a
Hudson, I don't remember. I don't really have enough time before the Big Bend ORR to come up with a refit but if I put something together
later I'll post it. Again, I think these roller bearing fixes are the long complcated solution to an easy question. I just like to tinker.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa Y'all
How well do you know your celebrity gossip?
http://originals.msn.com/thebigdebate?ocid=T002MSN03N0707A