[DeTomaso] u joint broken

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 14:04:44 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/30/08 5:21:31 PM, Edracers at aol.com writes:

> I just found out that my driver's side outer u joint is broken. Do I have
> to go to a Pantera parts house to get one or are their standard u joints that
> I could obtain at a local auto parts store?
> Thanks for any information.

Depends. There are two different halfshafts possible in there, which take
different sized u-joints. Spicer halfshafts are usuallu gold-alodined, are
stamped 'SPINCER' on the end flangers near the u-joints and take F-500 Ford truck
u-joints available at auto parts stores. Stock halfshafts usually are silver,
are otherwise unmarked and take a larger u-joint sold by all the Pantera
vendors, for little more than the Ford/Spicers.
One should occasionally inspect those u-joints, including the slightly more
difficult-to-see outboard ones; you're very lucky the halfshaft didn't swing
free and beat half the rear end of your car to death! Some guys have lost the
rear brakes when an outer one failed and snapped the hard line. When an inboard
one fails, it usually cracks the ZF cases! And be very sure the bolts holding
the halfshafts to the companion flanges with the u-joints are tight to specs-
looseness here will cause driveline vibrations that are very hard to diagnose.
Good luck, Ed- J Deryke