[DeTomaso] FW:  Desperate need for...now Rear Uprights

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 13:28:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/30/08 8:31:01 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> The axles were obviously modified to correct the originally too lose fit.
> Maybe they're a bit too tight now.  We'll see afterthe bearings are off.

Whoever checks your modified axles will need a good 5-place micrometer. The
'stock' dimension on a NOS axle is 1.5748" and you're looking for   0.0005"-
0.0008" interference fit to the inner bearing racess, which will also vary by
0.0001" or so. And yes- all those decimals are correct. As far as strength,
stock axles seldom break through the shafts; what lets go is the wheel flange, and
it always happens in the radius at the junction of flange to shaft. ANY
scratches or funny looks at that point is grounds to junk them. FWIW, 'billet'
axles as made by Hall are solid, not hollow, are made of 4130 steel, not
low-carbon, and have significantly thicker wheel flanges than stock. Good luck- J
DeRyke