[DeTomaso] Decklid Lock

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 18:56:53 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/28/08 7 59 36, apollo73 at yahoo.com writes:

> While installing a new latch on my decklid lock yesterday, the cylinder you
> push in on to open the trunk,
> somehow broke.  Now it just slides loosely back and forth, and of course,
> the decklid is shut, and I can't figure out
> how to get it open.  I took it to one locksmith and he wouldn't touch it.
> He apparently had a bad experience with a
> Jaguar once, and for whatever reason, wouldn't even look at it.

A locksmith probably wouldn't be much help anyway, as it's not a 'lock'
issue.

The only thing that the lock does is raise and lower a bar, which either
allows or prevents the plunger from being able to move in and out.   If you can
lock it, and it won't go in, and unlock it and it will go in, then the lock is
functioning perfectly.

The lock cylinder actually pushes on the latch.   Here, I just shot a photo
of mine:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/TrunkLatch.jpg

The latch is encased in a stamped metal housing; it pivots on a rivet and
there is a spring at the bottom.

When you push in on the button, it slides forward, pressing on the bottom of
the latch, which pivots on the rivet, and the top of the latch moves rearward,
releasing the catch on the decklid.

There could be any number of explanations for your failure.   Your rivet
could have sheared, or one of the mounting studs could have broken off (the one
not pictured broke years ago and is replaced with a bolt), or the nuts holding
the latch in place could have come loose and allowed the latch to move
slightly.

There are various ways to get the decklid open in any of these circumstances.
  The first thing I would try is pushing down on the decklid (on the back
edge of the decklid, not the flat part) while actuating the latch.   Compressing
the weatherstripping might give you enough extra clearance for the thing to
pop free.

If it is well and truly stuck, and you don't have A/C, you can run a long
screwdriver straight up through the top of the A/C grille and get to the bottom
of the latch; push it forward and maybe you can open it.

You can perhaps run a piece of coathanger between the weatherstripping and
the underside of the decklid; you could then catch the latch and pull it
rearward, which would allow it to open.

If all else fails, you can remove the bolts holding the decklid hinges to the
underside of the roof.   With that done, you could then lift the front of the
decklid and slide it forward, which would slide it forward off the latch, and
then you could lift the back, etc.

Let us know what you find out!