[DeTomaso] Clutch slave adjustment

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 00:47:30 EDT 2008

Paul,

My method? Forget measuring the gap.

This sound cmplicated, but is dead easy. First you find out where  the clutch
release arm needs to be located and then you adjust the slave  cylinder rod
to fit.

Andiamo:

Put the car in neutral.
Put the parking brake on.
Disconnect the return spring on the clutch release arm. Use  Visegrips  ...
that spring can bite.
Disconnect the pivot pin between the slave pushrod and the clutch  release
arm.
Start the engine.

Move the release arm rearward until you can feel the release  bearing touch
the spinning clutch release fingers. This will be a very distinct  feeling.
Mark the position of the release arm relative to to the bellhousing.  The clutch
release arm should be easy to move. If it is difficult to move, you  likely
have not had the redundant return spring inside the bell housing removed  or the
release bearing carrier is binding the release bearing  collar inside the
bellhousing. Now you know where the release arm should be  located.

Push the slave cylinder rod all the way up into the slave  cylinder.

Adjust the slave cylinder rod length until the pivot pin can be  reinserted
in the release arm. If the rod can not be adjust to reach the so the  pin can
be inserted, you need to remove the clutch release arm from the  bellhousing
and move it one seration in the needed direction and repeat the  above steps.

Adjust the slave cylinder rod length so you have a little clearance  between
the release bearing and the clutch fingers to allow for expansion due to  heat.
Adjust the clutch arm return stop so it just touches the return  arm.
Install the release arm return spring. Use the  Visegrips.

You are done.

Piece of cake. 20 Minutes max.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 3/27/2008 7:27:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,