[DeTomaso] One Cat Down / One Cat Up

Dave Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Wed Mar 26 23:18:31 EDT 2008

Dan,
As far as valves in a cleveland are concerned, I have two questions.

Were they always exhaust valvews?
Were they stainless valves?

If the answers were yes to both, then I suspect that the valve problem is
inadequate stem clearance which caused the valve to stick in the guide.  I
had this problem and at least 3 people I know have had this problem.

Dave "not any more" D

At 05:44 AM 3/26/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>A month ago this would have been titled Two Cats Down.
>The Beast is up and running with it's new race motor and ran well at
Saxton's Willow Springs outing last month. I am storing it at the track, so
let me know if anyone wants to run some laps on a demo day.
>The Winged Warrior turned out to be much more serious than first
suspected. I thought it had only blown a head gasket at Willow this past
November but when we changed the other side gasket we found a valve lodged
in a piston (again!).
>The Boss 4 bolt block has a crack in that cylinder running to the top, so
the shop is saying it can't be sleeved.
>The right side Boss head is toast due to damage from the broken valve.
>I have a line on a replacement block but still need heads.
>This being the 6th time I've had a 351C give out on me in the past 7 years
I'm about ready to give up on Clevelands. Heck, I even started writing a
post to sell the car, for someone looking for a Group IV car and their
choice of engine. I've settled down now and decided I have to give a
Clevaland another chance, since I don't want to modify The Winged Warrior
for a Windsor or what-not.
>I've been advised to get some Aussie 2v heads, for better low end torque
(this is a street car, used for LONG drives, I'm looking for dependability,
#1, and #2 good performance up to about 6k rpm).
>The local race shop (not the one that built the last motor, I'm done with
them) is recommending a stroker kit, saying I should be able to get my
power at a lower rpm.