[DeTomaso] smokin Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 15:16:41 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/26/08 11 25 30, Woehlrwrld writes:

> I think I understand what you are saying. I just talked to the alternator
> guy and he says that it would take him a few minutes to switch the relays on
> the new alternator so that a pigtail for the gen light can be connected. But
> his warning was that if I connect those and the generator light goes out, the
> alternator will not work since the regulator is now part of the package. I
> have no problem with the gen light being out which is much better than being on
> contiguously. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions before I close the
> hatch?
>

>>>I think what he means is that if the generator light *burns* out, the
alternator will no longer charge.   That's a very, very rare occurrence.

It's up to you, really.   Personally, I like having the stock functionality.

Perhaps the thing to do is to print out SOBill's Battery Charging System
diagrams (two pages) and bring them to the alternator guy, let him interpret them
and then determine what needs to be done.   You might not need to actually
remove the alternator; it probably has the necessary fittings to just accept
plug-in wires etc.

They are listed as "Battery Charge System" and "Battery Charge Description"
on Mike Dailey's site:

http://www.panteraplace.com/page107.htm

Perhaps you could e-mail the alternator dude the link and save yourself the
trip?   Or, print them out and FAX them to him?

Trying to save you a few bucks in gas, and the perhaps unnecessary labor of R&
R the alternator once again.

Mike (about to drive an hour to buy two fittings for my fuel line....)