[DeTomaso] One Cat Down / One Cat Up

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 26 08:44:44 EDT 2008

A month ago this would have been titled Two Cats Down.
The Beast is up and running with it's new race motor and ran well at Saxton's Willow Springs outing last month. I am storing it at the track, so let me know if anyone wants to run some laps on a demo day.
The Winged Warrior turned out to be much more serious than first suspected. I thought it had only blown a head gasket at Willow this past November but when we changed the other side gasket we found a valve lodged in a piston (again!).
The Boss 4 bolt block has a crack in that cylinder running to the top, so the shop is saying it can't be sleeved.
The right side Boss head is toast due to damage from the broken valve.
I have a line on a replacement block but still need heads.
This being the 6th time I've had a 351C give out on me in the past 7 years I'm about ready to give up on Clevelands. Heck, I even started writing a post to sell the car, for someone looking for a Group IV car and their choice of engine. I've settled down now and decided I have to give a Clevaland another chance, since I don't want to modify The Winged Warrior for a Windsor or what-not.
I've been advised to get some Aussie 2v heads, for better low end torque (this is a street car, used for LONG drives, I'm looking for dependability, #1, and #2 good performance up to about 6k rpm).
The local race shop (not the one that built the last motor, I'm done with them) is recommending a stroker kit, saying I should be able to get my power at a lower rpm.
So, anyone with an extra Cleveland, heads or advice please sound off.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456