[DeTomaso] Notes, warnings, cautions about fuel tank vent replacement?

Ronald Larsen ronzolarsen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:02:36 EDT 2008

 My suggestion would be not to use any kind of drill that was a source of ignition, ie: brushes on armature = possible Boom / fire from vapors ... an LEL meter would be a great asset, lacking one, I would either inert the fuel tank with exhaust thru the fuel fill from another source, portable generator, lawn mower ect. using a garden hose or some other type of hose, or use dry ice in an empty fuel tank, dry ice gives off CO2 and lowers the LEL, I've done it both ways, working on fuel tanks is spooky, not my idea of fun ..

 remember, the warmer it is the more vapors are rising to escape and the chance of combustion increases, also, synthetic fabrics can cause static discharge enough to ignite vapors if the fuel vapors to air ratio is right ... wear cotton ... Later Ron ..