[DeTomaso] It runs!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 15:19:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/22/08 6:37:42 PM, spkorb at gmail.com writes:

> Now the bad news.  In my hurry, I never installed a removable cross piece
> under the oil pan.  Guess what leaks anew?  Yup, my rear main seal.  Ah well,
> the car *is* 37 years old.  I started to leak a bit around that age too.

FWIW, the rear crossmember is removeable with much more difficulty while the
engine's in place but it is possible. This was done at a Nor-Cal Tech session
one time, and it took about 3 hrs to get the piece cut out, the edges in the
car trimmed and screw-on attact plates welded to the cut piece. Be prepared
with a Sawzall and several blades. Be careful & don't hurry- your body is full of
cuttable spots!   Oh, and you can start with a simpler job by cutting away
the e-brake bracket and bolting or welding on an angle-iron bracket to it so
it's removeable, too. The pan drops down, then moves forward about 3" to avoid
the oil pump for removal, so that welded bracket is also in the way.

Finally, with early engines, its possible the rear main seal is old-school
rope; if so, replace it with a more modern neoprene seal, whilch interchanges
perfectly. In rope-seal main caps is a tiny needle protruding into the seal area
to prevent rotation; knock it out & plug the little hole remaining with RTV
and you're done. Good luck- J DeRyke