[DeTomaso] smokin Pantera

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 23 12:58:33 EDT 2008

The alt and regulator are available from non-vendor sources.  Some people
take the opportunity to upgrade

to a more powerful alternator, as there are LOTS of options.  I like the
standard old nearly identical Alt.

But you can go for a “one wire” unit also, compared to the 3-wire you
probably have.  The vendors sell these too.

Basically they combine the wires together… Although that may be the modern
design, I am not quite accepting of them, yet.

I have not yet needed to change my “electrics”, in over 10 years, so I have
no suggestions from personal experience.

Some alternators “say” they charge more, but that might actually be at a
higher rpm that another.

If the typical engine rpm is 2800 then somewhere around there is a good
point for the alternator to put out

much/most of it’s charge.  But typically the faster it spins the more it
charges… makes sense too.

I think the stock alternator (rating) is something like 55 amps.  Bumping
that up a little to 65,80,90 is

going to be widely available, and not a bad thing.  Just don’t blindly go
for the highest rate without knowing

where in the rpm range it performs that.  One guy bought a “special” alt,
‘cause it would make 100 amps.

Oh, boy!  but it turns out it did that at 6,500 and above… at the cost of
producing LESS current at the typical rpm range

of like 3,000.

Dooop!

This has been discussed ad naseum on the forum.

You can and should read the archives by using the PCNC site:
http://www.panteraclubnorcal.com/search.htm

I’ll include the forum in my reply address, so you will get 20 responses
(with 25 opinions) and also one from an asshole – grin.

Chuck

   _____