[DeTomaso] Top Gear Pantera video

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 22:53:20 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/20/08 19 38 29, pantera at pobox.com writes:

> UH, Twin turbo and 200 mph.  I want to see the next episode.  And since
> when did Detomaso ever do a twin turbo ford in the 200.

De Tomaso didn't.   Dick Puxty did.   He was the UK importer for De Tomaso,
and he received the one and only right-hand-drive Pantera Si, cobbled together
a twin turbo package for the stock 5.0 liter Mustang engine, and he called it
the Pantera 200.   The British press picked up on it, and ever since then
people have been incorrectly referring to all Pantera Si cars as "Pantera 200".
When in fact, that was the name of that one and only car.

The car was sold to South Africa, but the buyer neglected the little detail
of actually paying for it!   It took a few years for the situation to be
untangled, but eventually Dick got the car back and I believe sold it to somebody
else in the UK.

Since that time, one other Pantera Si was converted to RHD, by the factory,
for an Australian buyer.