[DeTomaso] QA1 shocks

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:47:32 EDT 2008

Matt,

I have QA1's on the GT5 (using 550# rear and 450# front spring rates) and I'm in the process of putting them on the '74L too.

I went with the 5855 model as recommended by QA1 Technical Dept. Specifically mine are model # DR5855B where DR is single adjustable with rebound and dampening in a single adjuster, (DDR would denote double adjustable and separate knobs), B = bushed eye, (or a P = Poly bushing) compressed length 11 5/8", uncompressed 17". These shocks use a 12" spring length and I'm starting at 500# rear, 400# front. The QA1 springs are relatively cheap at $40 each so I can experiment a little if need be. Summit Racing sell the single adjustable shocks for $170 ea. and the double adjustables at $290 ea.

There is a crowd selling on Ebay as 'Chassis Warehouse' that will sell you a pair of the single adjustable shocks for $290 plus $12 shipping which is the best deal I could find.

The QA1 shock ends are not as wide as the original shocks (and hence narrower than the mountings) so some spacers will be required. Larry Stock had a bunch machined that are stepped to sit in the shock bushing and I managed to convince him to sell me the 16 required, alternatively if you have access to a machinist you could run them up pretty easily. I can provide dimensions if necessary.

Good luck,
Julian

Matt Bradley wote; I'd like to hear some experiences with anyone running the QA1 shocks--where you got them, what type (number of adjustments), and spring rates. Thanks.